Thursday, January 13, 2005

Meet Mr. Boogers

Mr. Boogers
Mr. Boogers,
originally uploaded by Rho.
After all that sweat and bitter competition at the basketball hoops...after dropping all that money at Dave & Buster's in Milpitas, including the one in Honolulu, Sinta and I finally redeemed our coupons. We accumulated a nice number of tickets that earned us a cheezy neon clock and a big, stuffed beagle we named "Mr. Boogers" aka "Hanabata Boy" because of his big nose.


Stitch and Mr. B
Stitch and Mr. B,
originally uploaded by Rho.
You guys are probably thinking, "They spend way too much time at D&B's!" We thought about buying that membership thing, but we figured that it's not worth it since we don't frequent the place that often. If anything, we go there about once a month.


Blowfish Sushi

Mmm...Sushi!
Ritsu Roll,
originally uploaded by Rho.
This is a little bit untimely, but I've been meaning to write about our dinner at Blowfish Sushi, a Japanese fusion restaurant we dined at the night before New Year's Eve. Sinta and I almost didn't walk in because of the scrubby attire we had on, but it wasn't one of those fancy schmancy joints. When we walked in, we were greeted by the hostess wearing a halter top. Different. On the right is the bar, and on the left is the sushi bar and the dining area. The restaurant had a club feel--the lights were dim, and the music was relatively loud for a restaurant. Perusing through the menu, I was a tad disappointed because they didn't offer any bento-style meals, except during lunch. And that's what I was craving for. There is a limited entree selection. Sinta was right in saying that this place is a great first-date place. You're forced to share a plate of sushi. The music is loud enough to drown out any awkward silent monents. There are multiple TV monitors all over the place that shows anime movies. And yet, the low lights set a subtle romantic ambiance.


Chocolate Quartet
Chocolate Quartet,
originally uploaded by Rho.
We topped off our dinner with a decant dessert named "Chocolate Quartet". It consisted of a plum wine chocolate pao cake, dark chocolate and white chocolate mousse, and white chocolate ice cream served with three sauces. I can't even begin to describe this heavenly dessert! The pao cake just melted in my mouth...and paired with the white chocolate ice cream...simply divine. I'd go back to the restaurant just for that!


Ironically, Blowfish Sushi does not serve blowfish. Sinta and I looked through the whole menu, and there is not a single dish that contains blowfish. Is is because it's too dangerous, since there's only a very small part of that fish that's not poisonous? It reminds me of that old "Simpsons" episode where Homer was served the poisonous part of the fish, and he thought he was going to die. At any rate, the food was good...the fish was fresh. It's been a while since I've had really good sushi, save for Genki's, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment