Wednesday, January 12, 2011

2nd Anniversary Weekend

I've been trying to write this entry for the past two days now. It started out with where we stayed in the city, what we did Sunday afternoon, and what we ate at the Farallon Restaurant (which was wonderful, by the way). It just lacked any kind of emotion, if you know what I mean.

It was a staycation in a city that we frequent a lot. A city where J was born and raised. A place that we both love. The city is close enough to get to, but far enough to get away from it all. Because it felt like we were on a vacation, I felt like we had to have a loose itinerary or something, but J's answer to that was, "I don't care what we do, as long as I spend time with you."

We stayed at a quaint French boutique hotel in the heart of the city. The location was ideal in that it was walking-distance to the places we wanted to go to and see. The first morning, we had breakfast at S.ears Fine Food. J had the French toast and I had their "world famous" 18 Swedish pancakes. Yes, 18. Our server playfully refused to take my plate until I ate all 18 of the pancakes. And I did eat it all, and it wasn't heavy at all. Afterwards, we spent the afternoon at the SF.MoMA. Visiting museums is something we like to do together, and it's been awhile since we visited one.

The day ended with an exquisite 4-course dinner at the F.arallon Restaurant. We sat along the front of the kitchen, so we got to watch the Chef de cuisine and his staff work in the kitchen. He sent a complimentary dish of sturgeon mousse and caviar served on spoons. It sounds weird, but it was delicious. It reminded me of ceviche. J had foie gras and the Maine lobster and sweetbread cassoulet (hedgehog mushrooms, braised tiny white beans, green onion, porcini jus). I had the caribbean white shrimp parfait (haas avocado, cucumber relish, cocktail sauce) and the champagne poached Nantucket Bay scallops (celery root flan, petite sierra beauty apple salad, cara cara orange fondue). Those were just the first (cold) and second (hot) courses, respectively. We both ordered the herb crusted seared rare ahi tuna (lemon scented pearl barley, risotto, crisp shallots, white wine braised cavolo nero). And for dessert, we shared the honey roasted pear, which consisted of hazelnut brown butter cake, Douglas Fir - infused mascarpone, Hangar One Fraser River Raspberry syrup. It was excellent. I would go back just for the dessert.

It felt like we were on a first date, and the way he looked at me from across the table left me giddy. Some days are just mundane as we go about our routines as a couple. On other days, I still get butterflies from the little things he says and does. And he still surprises me with his little quirks because I think I know everything about him. We've been together for seven years, and married for two of those years. I hope I'll still have this same feeling for many more years to come.

3 comments:

  1. Awwww, what a great entry and a great anniversary weekend :)) Happy Anniversary again you two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a sweet and relaxing staycation. ^.^ i used to get those giddy feelings all the time. i feel them once in a blue moon now. but when i do feel them, it's like new love all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww. Happy anni to you two. I don't think I can say anything more kasi parang naiiyak ako.

    ReplyDelete