Thursday, June 12, 2008

Dancing Again

I've taken up hula again. But this time, it's with a different halau. I wasn't planning on going back this year, especially since we're trying to plan a wedding. But who was I kidding? I can afford two hours out of the week for hula. And if I did go back to dancing, would I return to the previous halau? I had my reservations about returning there, especially after what I had experienced.

I mentioned back in April that I met up with my cousin and hula sisters, and they talked about the new halau that they checked out. Well, a few weeks later, I get a text from Cousin N telling me that I should put my name in ASAP for open enrollment in June. Again, being a little apprehensive, I sent an email anyway to the contact person with my intent to join. I figured I could pull out if I decided to.

The first class started on June 4. I met Cousin N for dinner before class, and I was just a ball of nerves during dinner. She did most of the talking while I fidgeted in my seat, but she understood my nervousness. This was how I was before class at the other halau. She assured me time and again that this new place is nothing like the previous one--that the atmosphere is more relaxed and fun.

And, boy she was right! Everyone was friendly and having fun. Our kumu is a great teacher, incorporating the core fundamentals of the dance with fun. He tells us what muscles are used for each dance step, and what and where we're supposed to feel them work. And, he makes us work! No joke, it's a great workout, even your wrists will sweat!

The first hour of class is dedicated to hula. The second hour concentrates on Ori Tahiti, the true name of the Tahitian dance. I haven't danced this since I was a young girl, but I'm learning it again under a more structured discipline.

I'm so excited that I'm dancing again. I actually look forward to going to class, and no more butterflies in my stomach! I think it's safe to say I'm not leaving anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment