Dog Day Afternoons
It's beautiful out on this Sunday afternoon. I love the afternoons, especially when it's warm and breezy. As a kid in Hawaii, I'd spend my summer afternoons playing outside with my friends. We'd ride our bikes, or one of us would be on a bike, pulling the other one who's on roller skates with a jump rope. We'd throw monkey pods at boys. We'd drink straight out of the water hose when we were tired and thirsty. Sometimes, we'd play kickball. Other times, we'd pull out the beach mat, have a picnic consisting of Doritos and Kool-Aid, enjoying the trade winds under the hot Hawaiian sun. On weekends, my parents, brother, and I would take a drive around the island. I'd help my mom prepare the picnic basket. Something as simple as driving along Oahu's coastlines and and having a picnic at beaches made my weekends.
It was always a picnic when I was in the Philippines. The lanai at the back of the house was big enough to house a small fridge, a sink with ample counter space, a small gas stove, and a picnic table. Because it almost always felt hotter in the house, we had most of our meals outside. My dad loves to grill, so we'd always have grilled fish and vegetables. Afternoons were spent outside reading, gardening, or just relaxing under the mango tree. The backyard was the gathering place for uncles, aunties, cousins, nieces, nephews, and friends. Many parties and get-togethers took place there. My friends from college came over all the time and spent many a weekend at the house.
I don't know why I'm writing about my afternoons in Hawaii and the Philippines. Maybe it's because I read my bro's blog this morning, and I miss my family in the Philippines. Maybe it's because I miss Hawaii and the laid-back feel of the island. Or maybe because Sinta's at work today and I want to spend the afternoon with him.
No comments:
Post a Comment