Thought I'd take a break from my editing job since I've been at it for almost six hours already. I'm tired. I wish I didn't have to go to work tomorrow--partly because I want to break away from the madness, and isolate myself for a little bit. The other reason is that I want to take a guiltless day off doing absolutely nothing.
Regardless of how busy we've been lately, Sinta and I manage to get out and have a little fun. We went to the Spirit of Japantown Festival in San Jose yesterday for some fun and food. My game plan before hitting the festival booths was to stop by Shuei-do Manju Shop for some manju and mochi. They boast of serving their traditional confections to the Emperor of Japan's last visit. I can see why--the mochi is as smooth as silk, and totally yum.
Afterwards, we checked out the various booths. I scored a 1-lb bag of 100% Kona coffee for just ten bucks. Bought a bag of Kristie's cookies, watched some hula, had lunch at the local ramen house, browsed the Ikebana exhibits. We also posed in front of the San Jose Fire Department's Shark Engine (during the NHL regular season, you may be able to catch shark fins--representing the San Jose sharks--fashioned atop active fire rigs).
It was a rather small festival, but it was a great way to bring the community together to enjoy the "Spirit of Japantown".
We headed up to the City shortly thereafter to check out prospective venues for our wedding reception (details later). Driving through the Presidio, loud thunder roared overhead. I looked up to see the Blue Angels, and I clapped my hands in delight. Rewind to 1986 when my family lived in Louisiana and my dad was stationed at New Orleans NAS. Eddie Money's "Take Me Home Tonight" blasted through the humid air as I watched the Blue Angels maneuver into a daring formation. Rewind even further to about 1982 at the Naval Station in Norfolk. The air show was cut short due to heavy rains. We ran for cover. That's when I lost my first tooth when my mom wiped my face. What I'm trying to get at is that watching these air shows as a kid fed my facination for planes, especially military aircraft. That's why I still get excited when I see these shows. We pulled over to watch the Blue Angels in action over the San Francisco skyline.
Here are some photos of the afternoon:


No comments:
Post a Comment