Thursday, July 07, 2005

I Retract

I now understand why our psych class has been uninteresting lately. On the first day of class, our instructor announced that she would only teach the first half of the term because she will be undergoing surgery. She also mentioned then that she had finally come to terms with herself about the possibility of death and mortality. Somewhere in between trying new teaching methods suggested by a young classmate and her impending situation, the work in class has become mundane. Everyone, including the instructor, wanted to go home early.

But, tonight, our instructor was upbeat and cracking jokes. She interacted with the class. We had good discussions about current events and hot topics pertaining to our course. Then, it was time to go over the study questions we answered in our groups (this is how our past few classes were conducted--thanks to a classmate who wanted to go home early). In the middle of it all, our instructor stops and comments about how mundane it is what we're doing. "Seriously, at this point in time, this is how I feel. It's mundane." She then admits that she hasn't been herself lately with all the anxiety that she's feeling. She asks if we wanted to go back to having discussions as a class. In other words, going back to how our class use to be. The older students raised our hands. The young'ns could care less, really. They just want to go home early.

Unfortunately, we have one more class meeting with her before her procedure. I'm really looking forward to it, though. Thus, I retract what I said about the class in yesterday's post. I understand now. I wish our instructor well on her upcoming procedure.

My Condolences

This mornings tragedy is a reminder that these grim attacks can strike anywhere at anytime. Whether we realize it or not, we are affected by this. My heart goes out to the victims and those affected in the London bombings.


United Kingdom

No comments:

Post a Comment