Monday, March 01, 2004

I called home to the Philippines on Friday night. My nephew Nico answered the phone, "Hello, Tita!" The night before, Mom and Nico were trying to call our house, but we weren't home, and Nico said that we were probably at school.

Everything is fine back home. My parents are having the house extended--the living room and my brother's and my bedrooms. That explains the loud hammering in the background. I'm wondering how the house will look like when it's done. In recent years, they had the dining room extended, and added a bigger master bed and bath. It looks nowhere near the original floor plan. We had a teeny house built when we moved to the Philippines back in '93. It wasn't nearly as spacious, nor could the breeze pass through the otherwise hot and humid house.

I haven't talked to my family for almost a month. Since my folks are retired, they spent much of their time gardening, working around the house, and travelling. Lucky them. They travel with my other empty-nester aunties, uncles, and cousins. So far, they've been to the white sand beaches of Ilocos Norte and Zambales, have taken road trips through the Mountain Province and Ifugao to the Banaue Rice Terraces--considered to be the 8th wonder of the world. I've never been to those places. Let me say it again: lucky them.

I spoke with Nico, also. I can't believe how talkative he is and how clear he speaks. I was surprised, considering that when I spoke to him a month earlier he was still "bulol" (incoherent). He said, "Tita Woda (no longer "Tita Ninang")! I have cars! Lots of cars...nice cars! Buy me caaaaaars!" I guess I'll be sending him a balikbayan box filled with Matchbox cars and Hot Wheels.

No comments:

Post a Comment