Sunday, May 09, 2010

Mayumi and Sera

After a whirlwind weekend, I quickly cleaned the house this afternoon so that I could relax for the rest of the day. As I was dusting the buffet, I noticed that the wooden carabao's snout has scratches, as if one of our cats gnawed on it. Without hesitation, I thought of Sera, our tortoise-shell cat. She likes to gnaw on the corner flaps of cardboard boxes and such. I could've easily gotten upset about that, but it's not like I can't get another wooden carabao, right?

I've never been a cat person until we adopted our first cat, Mayumi (a tabby/abbysinian mix), last year in January. Perhaps, the only reason why I gave in was because the Hubster grew up with cats, and he'd talk about adopting one. By chance, we went to our local pet store and a cat rescue agency happened to be showcasing cats and kittens for adoption. There was something about Mayumi that attracted me to her, and I kept coming back to her. Needless to say, we came home with her. She behaved like any normal 6-month old kitten would do, and we decided to adopt a playmate for her to calm her down. So, Sera came into the picture a few months later. Mayumi mellowed out, but Sera is a handful, until this day.

Mayumi (AKA Yumi, Mudd)

Mayumi is the older and the calmer of the two. We're still trying to figure out if she's the alpha cat because it seems that Sera dominates her when they play together. And although Mayumi is older, she's significantly smaller than Sera. She's scared of people who come over, but she'll warm up to you, especially if you come over often. When she warms up to you she's very sweet, but she can be overly needy, too. During the holidays, I saw an ornament that read "Dogs have masters, cats have staff". Mayumi definitely fits that. If she wants belly rubs, she'll make you come to her buy lying down on her back from across the room. She's not coming to you. You have to go to her. She's very sharp and can catch flying bugs with her paws.


Sera (AKA Sera Bear, Bear)

Sera has quite a personality. She's not as graceful as Mayumi, and is rather clumsy. I can't tell you how many times I've seen her jump and miss her target, whether it be a chair, window sill or the second story ledge. She acts like a dog and loves to play fetch. Yes, we trained her how to fetch. She loves being around people and is super friendly. But, she has quite an attitude and will "talk" to you if she disagrees with what you're saying (e.g. when we tell her to get off the kitchen counter). I swear to you, I've seen her roll her eyes. Unlike Mayumi, when she wants belly rubs, she'll come to you.

These cats are quite entertaining, and I never thought cats had different personalities. Hehe. As you can see, I do love my kitties.

No comments:

Post a Comment