So You Think You Can Dance
The H.o'ike was probably the culmination of my hula dancing experience thus far. I would perform again with our ha.lau in a heartbeat. I've never had so much fun dancing, and it's definitely something I love to do. Love it. Just absolutely love it. So how ironic is it that I injure myself from repetitive motion at work two weeks after our performance? I'm bummed because I was advised by my occupational nurse not to dance hula, at least until the 26th when I finally get to see a doctor. The good thing is that she ruled hula out as the cause of injury. I've haven't been dancing for about a month now, but I go to class anyway and sit in. I can't tell you how frustrating it is, especially since my class is training for competition. I'm just itching to get back on the floor, but I know that I have to get better first. The other thing that frustrates me is that my ku.mu asked me to perform at one of their gigs at a restaurant they occasionally perform at. I had to back out because of my bum arm. I won't lie and say I don't get jealous when I see photos on FB of my hula brothers and sisters performing. I guess I should be grateful and honored that he asked me in the first place. And I am. I just wanna get better. Fast. So I can dance. Again.
Post Typhoon Pepeng
I finally got to talk to my parents last night. Despite the damages in our town, I was rather surprised at how fast the utilities were restored. It sounds like they're doing fine--there was no remorse in their voices, and that was a huge relief for me. There were minor damages in the house, and the yard outside will take some time to clean. The biggest issue is the thick layer of mud covering the property. I'm just glad they're okay. My cousins have been taking shifts helping them clean, bringing them food and snacks. That makes me feel a lot better because this past week had been emotionally hard for me. I got in touch with a few of my friends there, and they are in worst conditions. It's heartbreaking. I know they'll all be okay. Filipinos are like that, though. They all pull through in the end.
Lil' Brudder is going home to the Motherland for several weeks. Again, I'm jealous. Actually, more homesick than I am jealous. The Hubby and I went to the Filipino grocery store this afternoon to pick up a few things, and I felt so comfortable. Everything from the Tagalog-speaking manangs, to the cell phone kiosk and the sweet aroma of fresh-baked pandesal. Ooh! And, the manong outside the store selling fish balls from his cart. I told the Hubby that if I ever felt homesick, we'd just go there to get my fix.
No comments:
Post a Comment