Hawai'i Part 3: Old Friends
During our stay, I was able to meet with an old friend, and a wonderful friend at that. I was ten years old when my family and I moved to Hawaii in '87. We moved into Catlin Park, a Navy housing where Crissi and her family were living. We became neighbors and instant friends. She and her sister would come over every afternoon to play tag or kickball, or ride our bikes around Catlin. Crissi and I even shared a pair of roller skates--she wore the left skate, and I wore the right. Silly kids! Our parents became good friends as well, and we always looked forward to our barbecues. After several years, the military way of life separated us by distance. She came back to Hawaii for vacation one year, and her family moved back in '93. But that year, my family was moving to the Philippines. Many friendships are lost and forgotten this way, but she and I kept in touch through cards and letters throughout the years. We shared so much through these letters that our friendship became even stronger. We've been there for each other during our best and worst times in our lives. It's just amazing, I can't even put it down in words.
So, after eleven years, she and I meet again. Sinta and I met up with Crissi, her two children, and her sister and her daughter at Ala Moana last week Wednesday. We had lunch, caught up on the latest, then walked around the mall. I couldn't believe how much we've grown. It seemed like yesterday we were singing to New Kids on the Block songs. And the kids...they're so adorable! We took them to Magic Island park, where they played in the sand. When we were kids, she and I would always talk about growing old together, having barbecues with our families and all that good stuff. Well, it seems apparent that it may be that way. Sinta is setting up an alliance with her to persuade me to move back. It won't take much, I'm sure. I'm very grateful that our friendship withstood the test of time and distance. She has blossomed into a strong woman with a beautiful family--I give her much props. I miss you, girl...and hopefully we'll be able to share those fun family barbecues and endless Hawaiian afternoons.
Thursday, May 20, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment